What To Do
The "Hamptons" - actually, a collection of small, postcard-pretty villages strung like pearls on the South Fork of Long Island - have long been a retreat for the wealthy. Surrounded by pristine ocean beaches, the East End of Long Island features spectacular natural beauty that has also attracted artists and writers since before the turn of the last century. Between the villages, agricultural and viniculture land offers open vistas, and Long Island wines on both the South and North Forks continue to gain international acclaim.
For some, the chief attraction of our beautiful area is our pristine ocean and bay beaches; for others, it's wandering our quaint villages. Whether you've never been to the East End or are a frequent visitor, here are some links and information to some of many activities.
Developed because Kim and Chris found that this was what we took our out-of-state families to see when they came to visit, our itinerary is an informal, 3-page tour of the East End from Southampton Village to Montauk Point to Sag Harbor.
Touring the Hamptons from A Butler's Manor:
Turn left out of the driveway onto North Main Street, and go approximately 1/4 mile to the stop sign, then turn left and continue into the village of Southampton. The main shopping streets are Main Street and Job's Lane.
• Fun to wander through: Hildreth's Department Store - the first department store in the United States. No clothing unless you're below Kindergarten age, but lots of housewares and gifts.
• Good places for antiquing: Thrift shops such as Colette's on Main Street, and the Southampton Hospital Thrift Shop in the car park behind Herrick's Hardware.
• Good lunch choices: Silver's (on Main Street), Le Chef (on Job's Lane). More casual lunch: the Driver's Seat (Job's Lane), Southampton Publick House (Bowden Square) and 75 Main (Main Street). All are good for hamburgers, sandwiches, & pasta dishes. Three choices for a grab-and-go sandwich are at Schmidt's Greengrocers (North Sea Road), The Golden Pear (Main Street) and Job's Lane Deli (Job's Lane).
• Of interest: Take a drive through the estate district: Continue on Job's Lane to the stoplight (Agawam Park is on your left). The road becomes Hill Street. Continue past the movie theatre and take the first left turn (First Neck Lane). Wind your way through the streets south of Hill Street towards the ocean (First Neck...Captain's Neck... Ox Pasture...Great Plains, etc.)
On the corner of Meadow and First Neck Lanes: The huge property behind the hedges is the (very private) Meadow Club. 36 grass tennis courts - almost as many as Wimbledon!
Drive down Meadow Lane to take a peek at some of the oceanfront summer "cottages," which certainly vary in style. A stroll on the beach will allow you to view their ocean faces, but be aware that there are parking restrictions in place from Memorial Day through mid-September.
***Unrestricted parking, year round, is available at ROAD D.***
The villages that comprise "The Hamptons" are fortunate to have a fine variety of good restaurants, some within walking distance of A Butler's Manor, running the gamut of very casual to fine dining. Kim and Chris take the testing of our local restaurants very seriouslyand try to eat out as often as possible to stay current with menu selections and new openings. A full binder of local menus is available for perusal in our living room, but here is a sample of places we most often recommend.
- Plaza Café - 631-283-9323
Zagat & Wine Spectator Awards winner. Seafood, fresh local fare, boutique American wines in a classy, Tuscan-inspired atmosphere.
- Tuscan House - 631-287-8703
Great Italian food (and large portions of it!)
- red bar brasserie - 631-283-0704
A favorite in Southampton. Candlelight, floor to ceiling windows on three sides, a lively atmosphere, great food.
- MUSE Restaurant & Aquatic Lounge - 631-899-4810
Creative food and a great atmosphere, now located a stone's throw from Long Wharf in Sag Harbor.
- American Hotel - 631-725-3535
Elegant dining with a 5-star wine list. If you're in the mood for caviar, this is the place! Reservations essential.
- Dockside - 631-725-7100
Don't let the fact that Dockside is located in the historic American Legion building stop you. Located across the street from the marina, dine inside or out on great seafood and much more.
- Harlow - 631-725-5858 (summer only)
Open for lunch,in between and dinner, on the waterfront in Sag Harbor. Large patio for outdoor dining; great sunsets.
- Bobby Van's - 631-537-0590
Known for its steaks! The dining room is light and airy and the whole front facade folds open in summer, offering excellent people-watching and fresh air.
- The Library, c/o The Maidstone - 631-324-5006
207 Main Street
East Hampton NY 11937
Great restaurant with a Swedish flair, a slow food movement participant.
- The 1770 House, - 631-324-1770
143 Main Street
East Hampton NY 11937
Charming romantic restaurant with great food and service. Don't forget to drop into the tavern downstairs for a drink or just a snack.
For a more comprehensive listing of restaurants on the South Fork, please click here
Some are renowned; others are our favorite low-key things to do. For current information of local events, click here.
- Hamptons Restaurant Week: (early spring)
- Art Southampton: (last weekend of July)
- Hampton Classic Horse Show: (end of August)
- Southampton Village Fourth of July Parade: Steps off yards from our front door!
- Concerts in Agawam Park: (Wednesdays from July - Labor Day, 6:30 - 8:30 PM) Free; bring a beach chair and a picnic and enjoy this truly hometown event!
- Concerts in Sag Harbor: (Tuesdays during July and August), in front of the American Legion Building, Bay Street, 8:00 - 9:00 PM.
- Bridgehampton Chamber Music Festival: (end of July - mid-August) Most concerts at the Bridgehampton Presbyterian Church, 2429 Montauk Highway, Bridgehampton.
- Pianofest: (mid-June - early August)
- Hamptons International Film Festival: (mid-October)
Museums, Theaters, Historic Attractions
- The Parrish Art Museum
279 Montauk Highway, Water Mill. 631-283-2118
- Southampton Historical Museum
17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton. 631-283-2494
- Southampton Cultural Center
25 Pond Lane, Southampton. 631-287-4377
- Shinnecock Nation Cultural Center & Museum
Rte. 27A & West Gate Road, Southampton. 631-287-4923
- South Fork Natural History Museum & Nature Center
377 Bridgehampton/Sag Harbor Turnpike, Bridgehampton. 631-537-9735
- Bay Street Theater
Long Wharf, Sag Harbor. 631-725-9500
- Home Sweet Home
14 Main Street, East Hampton. 631-324-0713
- Montauk Lighthouse
2000 Montauk Highway (the end!), Montauk. 631-668-2544
- Bridgehampton Historical Society & Corwith Museum
2368 Montauk Highway, Bridgehampton. 631-537-1088
- Sag Harbor Whaling Museum
Main Street, Sag Harbor. 631-725-0770
- Sag Harbor Custom House
Garden Street, Sag Harbor. 631-941-9444
- Water Mill Museum
41 Old Mill Road, Water Mill. 631-726-4625
Regardless of who owns the spectacular house in front of it, the ocean beaches are open to the public...but parking at them varies. In Southampton village, Cooper's Beach is our large, beautiful public beach, complete with a pavilion that sells food, rents umbrellas and other beach equipment, and has bathrooms and showers. Parking during the summer season runs about $40 per carload per day. There is one FREE beach at Road D, where the 50 or so parking spaces are filled on a first-come, first served basis. The remainder of the beachfront is fully accessible by bicycle or by foot, but the limited parking at these beaches requires a Resident Permit.
For this reason, Kim and Chris offer our guests complimentary shuttle service to and from Cooper's Beach. Just ask!
STAND UP PADDLING, SURFING, WINDSURFING
BOAT RENTALS & TOURS
Spas & Massages
Sometimes the best getaway includes some personal pampering. Whether you prefer the serenity of a dedicated day spa or a private massage in your room at A Butler's Manor, here are some of our favorites:
Med Spa at AgeFocus
Zen-like surroundings. Massages, facials (fabulous!), body treatments.
365 County Road 39A
Southampton, NY 11968
LICENSED MASSAGE THERAPISTS
These professional LMTs all travel to give you a massage in the comfort of your room. Before arranging for your massage in the room, we require a current Certificate of Insurance from the masseuse therapist with A Butler's Manor B&B, LLC being named as an additional insured. Otherwise we cannot be held responsible for any claims made against us or our insurance company.
Christine Brady, LMT
Kristin White, HHP, LMT
You have a great place and you two are the secret ingredient in making it great. I felt so comfortable and welcome here. I haven't slept this well since I was a teenager living at home!
I have never stayed at a B&B where the owners' pride and sheer enjoyment of running such an establishment was so apparent. Everything was great! We look forward to returning!
- Mike and Kelly
Chris and Kim made us feel most welcome in their beautiful house. From the moment Chris picked us up at the station, nothing was too much trouble. They were kind, generous and helpful... a wealth of information about Southampton and its environs which we exploited ruthlessly.
- Mark and Karin
Our daughter and son-in-law raved about this place, and justifiably so! We enjoyed our stay in your delightful B&B.
- Ginny & Jack, St. James
A most delightful visit! We fell in love with A Butler's Manor and look forward to returning one day. This was the perfect getaway for us, thanks to your hospitality and attention to every detail. We had such fun discovering all the little niceties tucked into every corner - if only home could be like this!
- Nancy & John
Thanks you for a most delightful stay! This was our first time in the Hamptons, and hopefully not our last. Your hospitality has been so wonderful. The food, and the very interesting stories have made our stay most memorable!
- Scott & Kirsty
Chris and Kim have created the perfect formula. Their commitment to elegance, comfort, and personal attention, mixed with a clear love of what they do, adds up to an extraordinary experience for their guests. We enjoyed a week's worth of rejuvenation in 2 days! Works for us!!
- Donna & Paul